5.11.2006

I wish I could collect data

So, I recently became active on MySpace (I joined awhile ago but hadnt gotten into it). And for a short period (like 1 day), I was kinda obsessed with finding the right wallpaper - had to have hearts- and other random profile-type things. Then I realized in all this working, that I didnt really have any friends yet. It hadnt occured to me that the rest of the world was probably totally obsessed with it, and I was yet again a little late (or as I like to think too busy being a graduate student) to join the masses.

In the meantime, I started asking around, and some of the randomest people either do or dont have pages for some interesting reasons. Kevin seems to think its the latest method to e-hoe. Of course I took offense because of the way he said "I dont e-hoe." Well, neither do I! But after spending a few days in the MySpace community (lol), I definitely see how he could get that impression. On the other hand, William seems to think its not nearly restricted enough, and says that at least on the facebook when he meets someone, at least he knows theyre in college - yet another interesting point. They both likened it to an updated version of collegeclub or blackplanet (please remind me to diable those accounts), which I could totally agree with...

So last night as I'm up late, mostly plundering through people's accounts that I know, I start finding all kinds of other people - both those very likely and those unlikely - to be on MySpace. But the funniest part is the way people perpetuate themselves on the internet. Yes, true-self representation online shows its ugly head once again, but I know rappers, musicians, and people who are otherwise really working towards achieving their goals looking like hoes, gangbangers, and bastards! Well, some of them kinda are, but most of them are super nice people. But can you tell me why so many women are barely dressed? Oh! And why I seem to be in the minority that cares about whether their page is readable and user-friendly (rather than just cool looking).

Either way, I like it. I definitely need to change my preferences so that they arent emailing me everytime someone does something (which would also require me to check it reguarly). And now that I have a profile thats to my liking, and friends, I can lay off for awhile (hopefully).

I swear, if this was publishable in my field, I would collect data.

xoxox

1 comment:

Patti said...

Aww Erik, I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that