7.08.2005

How much are you willing to spend?

So I have been almost obsessive about this song for a minute. It strikes me. I could IMMEDIATELY relate to the lyrics. I would like to think that he knows who he is, but sadly I can imagine him reading them with incredulity... William said it best this afternoon: [and I paraphrase] "Do you want someone who teases you because they love you, or someone who doesnt know you at all?"

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Generally it isnt. And its the exact moment that you realize that you are staring at this person you once believed you knew so well, but you dont really. They are a complete stranger. You only got to know the part of the iceburg above the water. And even then, you only managed to take in a few surface characteristics (ie: color, temperature, overall movement if any). It wasnt like they hid themselves or presented themselves in an untruthful way... You just missed the details. You missed them, and yet they never really went anywhere.

You were reading words instead of sentences. Missing the main ideas. Often in a whole other book entirely. And it isnt until you come to the end of your book that you realize they have put your book down (perhaps) in favor of another one, whereas you were perfectly content.

Clearly, its that under-water mass that costs you. Sometimes it costs you a few tears or a couple of arguments. Those are the times when you get off easy. But what about those times when you have to spend a little of your peace of mind surplus or you have to tap into your emotional reserve to decide to renovate or demolish the relationship. How much are you willing to spend in these instances? Matters of the heart do not come cheap. And you cannot purchase them on eBay.

Here's to not knowing that the fact you don't know....

If
--Destiny's Child

If I don't pick up the phone like I used to (for you)
Dont you take it personal.
If I dont do all the things that I used to do (to you)
I aint mad at you.
If you get the feelings stressed up in your chest thinking you about to lose
Its true.
And if youre losing out on sleep home worrying about me
Ohh, thats how it be.

If you dont know, now you know you going to miss
My love.
And I aint stessing 'bout a dawg on thang
Cause I was true when I gave you
My love
If you search you will never find another love like
My Love
Youre going to miss me.
I aint got time while you sit around and play with
My love.

If you think I caught a feeling when I heard about that other chick
I already knew about it.
I just needed time just to clear my mind and ask myself
Why I didnt handle him.
If you wouldve taken care of home instead of leaving me alone
I still would be right there with you
Taking care of you
Steady loving you
Like I used to do.

There was once was a time I blamed myself for what was wrong
I can see so clearly now because you are gone
Thats how I spent all my time when you werent at home
Playing around with them raggedy heiffas
There'll be no more stressing
No more crying
No more trying
I would rather be alone.
'Cause this valuable heart of mine was yours until I realized
Finally opened my eyes...

No comments: