9.26.2008

Current Events: Transportation drama, Football and the Debate

Despite spending a good part of the day immersed in wedding-world, I'm writing another non-wedding post - lol.

I just finished watching the debate. First of all, I'm super proud of myself. Second, I really have a hard time taking John McCain seriously. Which makes it kind of hard to give his debate performance objectively. Since i'm watching the news (and waiting for the PHI to arrive), I'm going to deposit a few thoughts about the debate and our policial climate:

1. He still just feels so old. Standing next to Barack Obama just seems to magnify that not so small issue. Do young people (we'll say the 18-25 demographic that I just left) find themselves able to relate to him? My granma is sharper than that! And my grandpa (who likes to talk about his time in the Army to ANYONE who will listen) doesnt reminisce on his veteran status and his war experience the way that McCain does. I wish I didnt know he was old. Like, my [fabulous] grandparents old. I digress.

2. I am pleased to see that McCain seemed to be a little bit more polished. Thats not a terribly difficult feat, but I'm glad he's stepping it up. Its crunch time now, and if he wants this presidency, he's got a lot of 'splainin to do.

3. [I'm not sure how proud I am about this] Prior to tonight, I was siding with Obama primarly because of the race card. And I would wage that many other African Americans are doing the same thing - on general principle. Surprisingly, Obama and I share some common thoughts about the state of the economy, the work the American governement needs to do to make us competive in this global environment, and steps we need to take to ensure our future. That felt good. Now I'm not just voting using my race card, I'm voting because of our alignment on the issues.

4. I'm a federal employee. I work for the Department of the Treasury (to be more specific). So talking about the federal budget, the President's budget, directly impacts me now. Two days a week I'm a federal employee, 3 days a week I'm a graduate student. That continuing resolution they mentioned? That impacts me. I'll still get paid, but our projects may be delayed because of it. It could also mean when the budget finally gets approved (in whatever state it will be in) after the election, the new president will have stacked it with whatever appropriations, cuts and allowances they deem important for us in the new fiscal year. Long story short, when they start talking budget cuts, tax cuts, and budget overhaul, my ears perk up. Thats my paycheck they could be talking about! (LOL, figured out which agency I work for yet?)

Moving on...

And what the hell is up with our gas situation? Its crazy. You would think that Ike hit Atlanta! Running out of gas is one thing, but not being able to purchase gas when you know you need it is very scary. I had my own ride around town experience on Wednesday. See, I work in Atlanta twice a week, and it takes almost a quarter tank of gas to get me there and back. Basically I purchase quite a bit of gas, and I dont like to let the tank get too low. On Tuesday one of my co-workers called in because he couldnt get gas. As laughable as that seems, its totally a reality! Thankfully I was able to find gas, but you better believe that I the PHI and I will not be doing a whole lot of driving this weekend.

In other transportation news, I thought when I left owrk on Thursday that I was on my way home. Needless to say, I was on my way only to the Lindberg station. See, I park my car at a MARTA station, and take MARTA downtown to my building. Sitting in traffic is not my idea of a good time, and it would take FOREVER to get to work if I had to drive into downtown Atlanta. But anyway, I left my building at 4:30 only to get off the train about 4 stops later. Seems there was a fire and they were bussing people to their stations rather than letting the trains pass through. After exiting and entering a couple more MARTA stations (because the whole moving the people situation was poorly planned and executed), I eventually got to my car about an hour and a half later. That got me back into Athens in time to check my email (nothing good) and prep myself for Greys. Yesterday was a long day, but not terribly bad, depsite the hold up getting home.

Last, but not least, I've been having quite a few football chats lately. Perhaps its because I've been trying to be better with the PHI on the football front. This weekend, UGA battles Alabama. Its a huge game. SEC football is serious business, and both teams are currently undefeated. Unfortunately (or not) I really dont care who wins. I'll be glad to talk some trash to William if we win, but if we dont, I know I wont lose any sleep about it. Speaking of losing, the PHI's team lost. He's a huge USC (Southern California, not South Carolina despite his mailing address) fan and the boys didnt pull though. He seems optimistic that his boys will still make it to the BCS championship game, and that one of the SEC teams (or more) are destined not to because they have to play each other. What-ev.

Sorry, this was longer than I intended. Just wanted to deposit some stuff, coment on the debate, catch you up on my MARTA adventure, and officially go on record with another post with sports content (look at me, I've got 2 now!). Hopefully you werent terribly bored :)

No comments: